I had the biggest problem with IE 7 Beta 2
last night. I had installed it on our "family room" computer about three weeks ago because I wanted to test it and everyone uses Firefox
on that computer anyway. I played with it a little bit (not extensively) and was overall pleased until last night . . .
My dad was walking through the room and noticed a McAfee error message stating that some part of SecurityCenter was not running properly. He notified me and alerted me of the issue. I went to work trying to diagnose what the heck the problem was but I couldn't get to the SecurityCenter main panel -- the program would just freeze. I tried restarting and going through Safe Mode to no avail. I ran a complete set of anti-spyware programs too - in case some bot had taken over McAfee. At this point, I'm really starting to get upset. That machine does not have any critical data on it but I don't really want to wipe it and start from scratch at 11p.m.
I should also mention, earlier in the evening, I had read some of the Spyware Horror Stories over on CNET
. Reading these didn't really give me much encouragement as to what the problem might be -- I'm thinking more and more the problem is a nasty virus or spybot. Thankfully, after about an hour of frustration, I had the sudden thought to check the McAfee support pages
for any information. Thank God for this revelation, as the title of the first topic on the help page was, "After installing Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2, my McAfee applications are not working correctly." I clicked and it basically said that McAfee isn't supporting IE 7 at this point and won't work if it's on the machine.
DOH! Why it took three weeks to show up as a problem (I'm pretty sure McAfee was working fine until the last two days) I don't know, but I'm sure glad I didn't format the hard drive because uninstalling IE 7 took about 30 seconds.